Sunday 16 March 2014

Grafham Revisited

Having spent a fab weekend reuniting The Reserves in Bury St Edmunds, popped in to Grafham Water my old patch for a little look round. My old mate Mark Hawkes had tipped me off about a couple of good birds so I was full of optimism. I headed first for Mander CP, past my old house in Perry. I walked down to Valley Creek Hide and was soon watching a smart, but sleeping 2cy female Long-tailed Duck. A couple of Goldeneye were nearby but otherwise not much else. Down to the lagoons where five Avocet were rather nice, plus Shoveler, Gadwall and Teal. At Plummer CP I thought I saw a diver briefly over near the north shore, so I headed round to Marlow CP and walked south on to the dam. After scouring the water I picked up a fine Red-throated Diver which showed well in the sunshine, diving regularly, but spending enough time on the surface to allow a couple of phone scoped pics. I carried on along the dam and picked up another diver near the Tower- cool, a Great Northern! I walked round and got great views of this big bird. With the sun on the water you could actually see the bird's massive feet trailing behind. On the way back to the car I saw and heard my first Chiffchaffs on the spring in the willows by the edge of the res. A great hour's birding and a good reminder of what a great patch this used to be!






No comments: